Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

function to obtain cell reach

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfenx

Programmer
Feb 23, 2001
BE
is there a function that can tell me if a cell is part of a bigger, concatenated cell? and can I obtain de dimension of the concateneted cell i.e. if cell B3 is part of a concatenated cell with a reach from B2 to C3, can I get as result "B2:C3" or something like that ?

Hi,

Concatenation is a string function that has to do with the CONTENTS of cells.

B2:C3 is a RANGE.

What is it that you need to do with either of these pieces of information?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

I want to generate a clean HTML table with just the basis html-tags (so not the 'save as' option that gives me to much supplemental code !). for concatenated cells I need to know what their range is (i.e. $C$5:$E$6) to define the colspan and rowspan.

$C$5:$E$6 is NOT concatenation.

You can AutoFit columns and rows be selecting all cells and then double-clicking any column or row boundary in the sheet headings.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

I think he means MERGED cells.

You should never merge cells. No good can ever come of it.

Or maybe he means Format | Center Across cells...

yes I mean Merged cells.
I want to know the range for every cell.
i.e.: a non-merged cell C5 should give me the value 'C5'
if cells C5 to E6 are merged, every cell between C5 and E6 should give me the value 'C5:E6'

Please post VBA questions in the VBA forum (Forum707). This thread from that forum will be worth a read for you: thread707-1079588

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

thanks xlbo, that other thread should help me out ! thought that it would be possible without VBA, that's why I posted it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back