Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Function to Delete a Users Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacq

Technical User
Jan 3, 2001
GB
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to delete a users password, or reset it without knowing what it is and without going into User and Group Accounts.
We allow users to change their passwords using the NewPassword function - object.NewPassword oldpassword, newpassword,
but they are constantly forgetting them and I want an admin person to have the facility to delete or reset them without going into the database security.

Thanks

Yes its easy to change a password in a users-table without any knowledge of the org password, but if users have this facility whey, then, have passwords ?, as anyone can change this and lock-in, as any user and thereby undermining the whole idear of passwords.
Maby I misunderstood - let me know if this is so. ;-)

You can set you your own form w/ custom code to set User passwords to anything you want. If your security is set up properly, set the form to be accessible ONLY to your administrative group, or even place the whole form in a seperate db using hte same workgroup. There is nothing inherent in the workgroup to prevent setting the password - Ms just didn't include the code in the wizzard or the menu process.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

thanks for the replys

what i have is a secure database in which every user has the ability to change their password, and 2 admin people who administer the data via a seperate menu form. but, when users forget their passwords i have to delete them via the User and Group Accounts as i cannot trust the admin people with access to this. i would like to set up a form so that the admin people can select a user from a combobox and reset or delete their password, but the newpassword function only works if you know the existing password, which the user has forgotten. i wondered if there was some other way to access the system file passwords?

i hope that is clearer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back