Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Function Help 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdr2273

Programmer
Sep 4, 2006
US
I am new to Javascript. Can someone help with the following? I would like the text box txtDate to be set to the current date and the text box txtAmount set to 0 when a user clicks on the checkbox txtChkBox1. The simple HTML code is below.

Thank you!

<input type="checkbox" name="txtChkBox1" /> Click Here<br />
<input type="text" name="txtDate" /><br />
<input type="text" name="txtAmount" /><br />

<input type="checkbox" name="txtChkBox1" onclick="txtDate.value=new Date(); txtAmount.value=0;" />

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

Thank you. How would I format the date to read 1/3/07 in that format?

you would need to break it out to a function and into its parts....
Code:
function formatDate(obj){

var dte = new Date();

var myMonth = dte.getMonth()+1;
var myDay = dte.getDate();
var myYear = dte.getFullYear();

var mydate = '' + myday + '/' + mymonth + '/' + myyear;

obj.value = mydate;
}

if you want just 2 digit year you could apply a sub string command to grab just the last two digits.

and remember you will need to call it as follows now because you pass it the object to be updated.

<input type="checkbox" name="txtChkBox1" onclick=" txtAmount.value=0; formatDate(txtDate);" />

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

oops made typo's remember those var names should be
Code:
var mydate = '' + myDay + '/' + myMonth + '/' + myYear;
pesky case sensetive is JS

mdr2273, since you've posted a handful of threads to the site now and have become familiar with it, why not try awarding a star to 1DMF for the help he provided you? It's a nice way to show appreciation to others that put forth the effort to help you with your problems, and it gives them a vote for the tipmaster of the week. You can click the "Thank 1DMF for this valuable post" link on any of his replies to submit a vote for him.

-kaht

[small](All puppies have now found loving homes, thanks for all who showed interest)[/small]

ahh, why thank you kaht, didn't know you cared [gorgeous]

You never know, I might be the one to answer his question next time. [wink]

-kaht

[small](All puppies have now found loving homes, thanks for all who showed interest)[/small]

oic alterior motive , you could always give me the star your self hun :)

But that doesn't get those who ask questions into the habit of responding properly.

Lee

Thanks for pointing that option out, I have given 1DMF a star. I didn't know that was an option until just now.

I didn't know that was an option until just now.

Some people just need a subtle nudge in the right direction [thumbsup2]

-kaht

glad i could help mdr2273 , it's normally the other way round :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back