Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Function Evaluation in Design Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaniard

MIS
Jul 23, 2002
US
OK, VBA spoiled me with the Locals pane of the debug window. I could evaluate functions in design time and not have to be in debug mode.

VB.NET seems to have a similar tool in the Command window (Command or Immediate mode). However, whenever I try to use them, it states that "The expression cannot be evaluated while in design mode."

Is there a way to evaluate functions from design time? If not, it seems to be a glaring oversight...please educate me if I am wrong.

I guess I'm not the only one who doesn't know...

Edit & Continue will be available in VS.NET 2005. I don't know if it applies to the immediate window.

Chip H.

I am able to use the immediate window for debugging a specific global function, but I have to set a break point first. I just set it on the load event for my first form and go from there. Very cludgy and cumbersome...with all the awesome capabilities of .NET, how did this get overlooked? There has got to be a way to test a function without jumping through hoops.

BTW, Tools - Options - Debugging - Edit and Continue gives the C++ user the ability to enable or disable the Edit & Continue feature. Good to know we'll soon get it!

You can also just hit the Pause button. It's a little annoying to have to pause/break the code, even if it's just waiting for an event. my main complaint is the lack of intelli sence in the immediate pane.

-Rick

----------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back