Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fully qualified domin name and exchange 2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

spddmon

MIS
Feb 18, 2002
US
Hi all.
simple question. IS it possible to install and setup exchange 2K in a 15-20 pc ofice without a fully qualified domain name for now, but possibly in about 6 to 10 month period, without having to reformat, relicense and redo the whole thing all over again?
Is it really not do-able without re-setting up the whole thing; users, dhcp, ICS...etc.?

Yes, actually you can. I did this for a customer of ours and it all comes down to the configuration of your DNS entries. When you are ready to make the change, feel free to drop me an email.

Matthew Hansel
mhansel@acctechinc.com
[pc3] [noevil]

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I had a feeling it was possible, its just the person who sets up these for us said it won't work otherwise.Can you give a summary of how to go about doing it, with static WAN IP address and new DNS numbers, so I can try to explain it to the installer?
Another question I must ask, why can't a machine get an IP address from any DHCP server, and at the same time be able to connect to the domain server (WIN2K) which is also a DHCP server, which is on the same subnet. In other words, I am told that for any PC to connect to the domain server, it must get its IP address from that particular server.!!!

MedComp

I can work up a summary of the steps on how you do this, and post it to this forum. I will try to get that done over the weekend. Drop me a quick email so I can also contact you regarding this.

Matthew Hansel
mhansel@acctechinc.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back