Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fullscreen in FireFox shows title bar 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Does anyone know how to open a browser window in "proper" full screen as in I.E., no matter what I use when opening the window....

fullscreen=yes , titlebar=no

It still shows the titlebar along with the close button in FireFox - I don't want this to show.

At least in I.E. you can set the browser setting to "allow script initiated windows without size or position constraints" and it opens in full screen fine.

Is this yet another example of why FireFox should be put straight into the re-cycle bin or am I missing something?

Even if you press F11 in FireFox you still get the address bar - does FireFox and its programmers even know what fullscreen means ?

Cheers,

1DMF

Hi, in the view menu,toolbars: disable the navigation bar and the personal bar then press F11. You'll be in real fullscreen (kiosk mode).

Hope this helps. Please let know if this resolve your issue

Jeff

Failure is not an option

Unfortunately it doesn't help - because it means I have to get our members to change settings and half of them don't know the difference between Internet Explorer & Windows Explorer.

So even attempting to talk them through this is a nightmare.

Any chance you know the registry key change required to set this?

That's what I do for I.E. - they install a reg key file, it configures their browser - job done.

How do you accomplish this with other OS's such as Apple Mac and other browsers like FireFox, Opera, NetScape etc...

I used to have a pop up that auto logged the user out if they didn't click the logout button and used the [x] instead.

But now with all these darn pop up blockers that won't work - so i thought "I know I'll open the members area using fullscreen so the only way to log out is by pressing logout as there isn't a [x] to press"

But now that is a nightmare because browsers won't even let you do that anymore.

What's the solution, how do you log someone out of a members area when they close a browser window.

If you can't pop-up a logout window or force full screen so they have to press the logout button - what's the answer ?

Hi, you can configure firefox to authaurize pop-ups for certain sites (tools/options/web functionality/pop-up blocker)

Hope this helps. Please let know if this resolve your issue

Jeff

Failure is not an option

What i need is a file like a windows reg-key that can be run to configure these settings for them.

Any ideas where to start or is this only an option for I.E.

I know this is the way of the internet, because of a few dodgy people, writing dodgy code, it's caused a major headache for us ordinary people just trying to make a simple members area work and be secure.

What with pop-up blockers, browsers refusing to open in full screen mode, fire walls stoping even a simple online update from working (in particular Norton Internet Securities).

I spend hours a day walking people through computer settings instead of doing the stuff i'm meant to be doing.

If they use windows and I.E. with a hardware firewall, no of this is an issue.

As soon as you introduce FireFox, Opera, etc.. along with software firewalls - it all becomes a complete mess.

I suppose there just isn't an easy answer to this growing problem.

But if someone knows of one - please let me know :)

To be honest I'd much rather just tell our members to not use browsers such as FireFox, Opera, Mozilla etc..

They just aren't worth the hastle.

1DMF said:
Is this yet another example of why FireFox should be put straight into the re-cycle bin or am I missing something?

Yes - you clearly are missing something - security risks.

For example (and this is just one of many) - malicious scripts that open fullscreen windows with no close button.

Dan

The answers you get are only as good as the information you give!

I agree Dan.

What you're trying to do is blocking the user interface forcing the user to click on a button you choose.

Browsers are designed to show a full variety of contents from a lot of sources, not just to fit your needs.

Pop-up blockers, firewalls and so on are powerful tools if used properly. I don't think you should blame the for your problems.

Good programmers can't deppend on unaware users to get their programs working. A good programmer should know which security constraints his program has to acomplish on a particular secutiry environment, not expecting all doors open.

Cheers,

Dian

A car manufacturer cannot be held responsible for the people run over by them, we can protect and educate people as best we can but someone will always abuse.

I do not hold Microsoft responsible for hackers and virus writers - and I don't want functionality compromised because of a tiny minority of abusers.

The spammer spams not because they can, but because there are no punishments or laws or controls to stop them.

We can all commit murder - most of us choose not to, and I will not have my liberty or freedom removed on the premise that I might.

Microsoft and FireFox need to rethink their strategy, every piece of software on my computer could be spyware, how would I know - I have no idea what is in I.E, RealPlayer, Media Player - this list goes on.... We trust that these "Reputable" companies would not do such things - lol

The only safe computer is one that has been switched off at the mains!

umm you can run an "iexplore.exe -k". This opens only the web page. That is what I understand from your post. You can just put that in the run box and you have it.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Geez - everyone always seems to go off the railings when the old MS vs the rest of the world debate comes up. In answer to the original question posted here - you can customise the firefox browser to your hearts content and then send the final cusomisations out to the user's desktop in a single file. You are looking for the user.js. Here is a link to where it is:

and some information on configuring it:

And, BTW, if the user's are all using equipment that is owned by your company and managed by you guys then you can tell them to only use IE. Then you can deal with the absolute nightmare that is the Microsoft Virus & Trojan Hell!!!

It's a shame everyone beleives the BS Mozzilla contstantly go on about the better security in FireFox than I.E.

Err they are just as much full of **** as the rest of the marketing world trying to con little people without a clue that their product is better than someone elses.

Use what ever browser you like - but if you think you're choosing one over the other because of security, WAKE UP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back