Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Full version vs. Upgrade version 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGeek

MIS
Nov 3, 1999
US
I have never purchased anything labeled "upgrade edition"

My question is this.

I have Windows 98 loaded on my machine, I use gdisk (or other disk wiping tools) to remove all data from the hardrive, I then go out and buy Windows XP "upgrade edition", and load it. Will it load normal or won't it due to it not seeing any previous OS on the drive?

TIA

The Geek

Dont be afraid to share what you know. There are no losers in our arena, only self rightous monkeys atop their own tree.

G'day,

If you format the disk, naturally you will have to start from scratch. I don't see any reason for it not to load Windows XP setup, and if you follow all steps I don't see any reason for it not to run Windows XP after removing Windows 98 from the disk. Unless of course there is an incompatible file system on the partition you are trying to install XP onto, but this is unlikely. Anyway, once you've started with XP you'll wonder why you even bothered!!! ;)

Good luck!

Well I know that most software updates want you to have the original product installed and then just update it. So you are saying it is cool if I have a brand new hard drive nothing loaded, to go buy Windows XP update version, and load it this way?

Why have a full version vs. upgrade version then?

The Geek

Dont be afraid to share what you know. There are no losers in our arena, only self rightous monkeys atop their own tree.

Usually, when you attempt a clean install of a Windows Upgrade progrem, it will ask you to momentarily insert your previous version to show the upgrade disk that you are qualified.

MrGeek,
The difference between the full version versus the upgrade, I believe is for computers that are running other operating sys besides Windows to have the full ver.
Tiger.

Upgrade versions will usually require you to insert your existing CD during the install process, so that it can verify you actually have a qualifying product.

Regards
Ken............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phytergator and KenWright are both correct. When installing XP upgrade on a clean hard drive, you will be asked to insert your qualifying media - aka your win98 cd. If you don't have a real windows 98 cd it won't work - this means an oem restore cd will not work. More info can be found in the Windows XP forum - forum779 instead of the Office forum.

Thx yall, I will grab Upgrade :) Always good to know I can post questions here and give advice :)

Geek

The Geek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back