Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Full Text Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

yumbelie

Programmer
Dec 31, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have a very simple database, containing two tables (each with 3 fields - 1 Primary Key, and two data fields). The datafields are of type: varchar(100), and: text respectively. I have created a new full text index on both tables through the wizard. However, when I run a query (super simple SELECT * FROM mytable1 WHERE CONTAINS(mytable,'hello') no result is returned. I receive no errors, just as if the query returned no results. I have tested numerous long distinctive (made up) words, on all the fulltext indexed fields in both tables - nada, the query never returns. The MS Search engine is running, and I tried running the example provided in the SQL online book (one for the pubs database - creates a full text index + catalogue on a table called fulltexttest), that again returns nothing. Every step executes, no errors returned, but nor is any data when I execute the sample SELECT statement provided in the online book.

Any ideas ? I'm totally lost as I can see no reason it should not work.

I have repopulated both tables, and tried enabled update checking and have tried rebuilding the catalog, but it has made no difference.

Running Windows XP with MSSQL 2000 Server (8.00.194 - RTM).

Anyhelp much appericated.

Contains should have the column name not the table name.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Yep, I know that - sorry, my typo. It should say (mycolumn,'hello') - but it doesn't alter the fact it still doesn't work and that the supplied SQL Online Book example doesn't work for me either :(

Just saw ruthat you are running XP. Full-text search only works on a server operating system.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back