Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Full system restore with Remedy Database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefox638

Technical User
Nov 14, 2006
US
History of server:
The tech's needed to install some patches for security but needed to repartition the disk. They had recently upgraded the OS to MS Server 2003. We also matched them with the CommVault software.
The techs got new patches from our security folks which required more disk space than the partition allowed. So they (the tech's) decided to re-partition the drives. To do this they had to un-install all of the software and re-config both the C and D drives.

When they couldn't get the AR Remedy system which tracks our problem reports to come up they asked us in Media management to restore the system to the C and D drives. We re-installed the client software in order to do the restore, as per the books on line documentation.

We have two backup's from Jun 19 and 26th with the system state included. We have ran several restores with the restore to original path and unconditional overwrite switch set. However, when we do the restore it appers that the registery files don't restore the system to the configuration of the system. Nor does the AR Rememdy data base (which is a Oracle database) will not start.

The tech's have set the permissions to the files as they were before the re-partition event. I have checked books on line <Sigh>. No help there.

Anyone have any suggestions? Please help.

Hi

How are you doing the restore...full iDataAgent restore or just volumes?

Hey Birky. Thanks in advance for your help.. you have helped me before on some other issues. Anyway, it is a full iDataAgent restore because of the change in the OS.

Hi

Did you install the security patches before or after the restore?

In this situation I would just do a base install of the OS so it's just like it was before inc OS Service Pack level, perform full restore (with sys state included) and then apply your security patches etc.

That should then work....try it on a test box if you have one available.

Latest news. We have tried to reinstall as birky has suggested. Still, the systems state with all regestery entires will not install. Additionally, the permissions on the Oracle Database had to be reset. With that said. We tried to start the Oracle Database. Wouldn't restart.
We have a Microsoft backup of the system. They (the tech's) are thinking of using that. Will let you know how it goes.

Hi

I've posted an faq regarding Full Sys Restore when Oracle is involved.

There are further Oracle steps you need to do.

Should be up there by tomorrow.

There is more to this problem than I orginally stated. I was not aware that the Client did NOT have an Oracle IdataAgent on it. Additionally, after reviewing the tables and logs there appears to be data coruption of the Tables in the database. Now the problem has multiple facets, One with the OS and repartitioning issues and the other is an Oracle restore issue.

These are internal issues and have little to do with the CommVault software.. I appoligize for this post.

Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back