Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Full load testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlchaves

MIS
Nov 5, 2005
PH

Hi all!

We're purchasing a new 16kVA UPS and want to test it before signing off any acceptance documents.

We usually simulate full load by using a dummy load consisting of electrodes immersed in a tank of water. Salt is added to the water until the UPS is at full load.

I'd like your comments:

1. Does anyone here use the same method to test your UPSs?

2. Up to how high a load should I test? I'm contemplating testing up to 110% load for up to 3 hours.

3. What other stuff should I test? I will probably hook up a digital oscilloscope to capture the waveform.

Thanks,

Jan

jlchaves,
I have not heard of anyone load bank testing anything using that method in years. There are much easier, effective and safer methods available. The first thing I would do is contact the manufacturer of the UPS and tell them you want a factory authorized technician to load bank your UPS. Most major manufacturers will have a service organization that does this type of testing routinely. Ask the manufacturer to provide a scope of work for the load test. It should consist of a number of step loads and power transitions while on utility power and while on battery. It would be helpful to have an o-scope on the UPS while this testing is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back