Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Full form of UNIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

purushottam

Programmer
Nov 18, 2004
IN
Sir my Question is that what is the full form of UNIX & of JAVA if it is there

Hi purushottam,<br><br>I'm sorry - I don't understand your question - could you ask it a different way please?<br><br> <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

Hi purushottam,
There is no single expansion for the acronym UNIX.
But generally people say &quot;Uniplexed Information and Computing System&quot; for UNIX. But for java no idea.

Suresh

hey purushottam,

java ain't an acronym... the story goes that java designers were in a place called java and so on... not sure though...

afaik,
shail

Well -- before Unix there was a project called Multix, which never got finished, which left some machines lying around not doing anything, which were just *too* tempting for some people (who had an idea for a Star Trek program they were just dying to try out)...

About the name though -- I don't know. But I'd like to bet that it was originally a joke -- made to get up the noses of the Multix people whose project had just failed.

While looking for something else entirely, I found a couple of excellent articles on the 'net that I've seen before, but that I'd lost the links to.

The first is an early history of Unix at It's well worth half an hour of your time to read through this. Highly recommended.

The second is on the same site and was written at the time of the 25th anniversary of the first Unix kernel -
They cover pretty much the same ground, but I prefer the second one as it contains more quotes and anecdotes.

Taken from the 25th anniversay document: &quot;The operating system was named UNIX, to distinguish it from the
complexity of MULTICS.&quot; (MULTICS being the Multiplexed
Information and Computing Service.)

Both articles are excellent reading at around half an hour each. If I had to choose one of them to read, it would be the 25th anniversary one.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back