Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Full and Differential in same backup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adzer2

Technical User
Jul 16, 2007
IE
Hi all,
I have an SDLT tape drive directly connected to a server, which gets backed up Mon-Fri (Mon-Thur are differentials, Friday is full), in another backup job is another server not directly connected to the tape drive which is backed up the same way as before except the Full backup is Thursday.

The problem is, that the SDLT tape drive usually ejects after a backup is complete, I stopped it from doing that to allow the 2nd backup get its job done but it seems to overwrite the media on the tape.

I was hoping there was a way to have a differential backup of one server and a full backup of another, in the same job, because the Full backup of both servers is too large for one tape and we aren't here out of hours to change it.

Any ideas?

I've never tried this but if you click on the options button and then look at the "backup media" tab you should be able to set the second job to append to the tape rather than overwrite.

Here's where I need some experimentation or someone with more knowledge. If your using media pools then the second job may not find your tape in the scratch set. Without a tape to append to, the second job will fail. I don't know when the shuffling between the save and scratch sets takes place.

- Joel

Hi eclidad,
thanks for the response, I tried the append option but for some reason it still overwrites the media thats on the tape.

We aren't doing anything with media pools, its just a straight daily backup thats run Mon - Fri.

I have the ability to experiment with the backup if needed, as I have plenty of tapes to run test backups on.

Check Arcserve help and I think you will find that you cannot append a full backup to a differential or incremental backup. You can only append a differential/incremental to a differential/incremental. A full will start a new tape.

Can I append a differential to a full backup (ie, start with the full and then the diff)?

If not, it looks like I'm stuck for a way around this....

Hi,

With the rotation job this will not be possible

You have to create 4 different custom schedule jobs and then append to the media as u specified

becos rotation schedule will override the global options

Regards,

Nick

This is the maddening part of Arcserve. Is there a doc somewhere that describes when rules apply and when they get overridden? As I stated in a question I posted earlier this week, Arcserve does not behave the way intuition says it should.

"You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike"

- Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back