Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fujitsu HDD problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

puzzeled

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
US
I am new to this forum and was wondering if anybody here could help me.
My situation is that i have 3 fujitsu MPG3xxx hard drives and one of them is not detected in BIOS.  The failed drive spins, seeks, and appears to be ready to read and write; however, the drive is not seen. I have tried swapping the print cicuit board from the two good ones, but no success, hard drive does the sme thing. At the same time i have tried the bad drives print circuit board on the good drive and the print circuit board test good. Weird! Is there anybody here that has found a solution to this problem?? I know that the Fujisu MPG series has a faulty chipset, but is there a way around the chip problem? Any help would be appriciated.  

Have you checked jumper settings, cables, IDE ports, and BIOS settings?
If you can understand it, you probably don't.

Yes i have. However, no matter how i set the jumper it doesn't show. I have read that there is a bad Cirrus Logic chip on the PCB. is there a way to bypass the chip, and debbug the chip?

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything from Fujitsu. They are arogant to deal with, and I've got a pile of unhappy customers following HD failures, and their refusal to honour their guarantees. At the moment, I'm seeking to satisfy my customers with more reliable brands such as Maxtor.

I've sent 3 MPGxxx harddrives back already for warranty. they are garbage. 1 of those hard drives was already a replacement as well.

I will never purchase a fujitsu product.. there service and support was terrible.

never again!

get on your warranty while you still can .. and chose the MONEY BACK option....

~Shmoes

I lay claim to nothing and everything. My words may be wisdom or disaster. In the end you make a choice. Noone is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back