Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP's "mdelete *" command is recursive 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepingSatellite

Programmer
May 13, 2002
DE
I've noticed that the FTP's "mdelete *" command removes not only the content of the current remote work directory, but also of the subdirectories. How comes this ? This is not signalled in the "man ftp" pages. How can I delete only the current work directory's files ?

From my ftp man page
man_ftp said:
For mdelete and mget, each remote filename is expanded separately on the remote machine and the lists are not merged. Expansion of a directory name is likely to be different from expansion of the name of an ordinary file: the exact result depends on the foreign operating system and ftp server, and can be previewed by doing mls remote-files -.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Very interesting, PHV. I didn't know that, and it is a *very* good point that you need to differentiate the behavior of client and server. Thanks, ASFY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back