Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

zib

Technical User
Feb 15, 2001
IN
Anyone can tell which is the best FTP downloader (full version) available in internet for free...

And can tell me about free ftp server available, and how to setup ftp a server in my PC?

Many thanks!

Try LeechFTP to download/upload...

As far as a server, are we talking Windows or Linux? Bulletproof FTP Server or wu-ftp...

I remotely control my office PC which is connected to our coporate network. It is in 172.23.X.X series/ private.

How to run ftp service (Server) there? Don't I need public IP to configure ftp server in that PC?

My purpose is to run ftp server in that remote PC (connected to private LAN/internet), and download the files from that PC through ftp client in my home computer here!

(I do get connected to that remote PC through Cisco VPN client software in my PC here)

Thanks again for your help!

You will have to configure your router/firewall to allow ports 20 and 21 thru, translating the outside IP address to route the traffic into your 172.23.x.x network. Make sense?

How to access the IP- 172.23.X.X

If it is configured in my ftp server, will the server recognise it?

I got ftp server built-up. What is the IP of the server, and the user name and password... it didn't ask for that option.

Thanks

You would access the public IP address on your "WAN" side. The router/firewall will assure that the traffic gets routed to the correct pc on the private network side as long as you have those ports programmed correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back