Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP works with internal IP but not with the external IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayson

Programmer
Jan 31, 2001
US
Hi,

I'm running a home network with a Windows 2000 Server as a PDC, i'm behind an SMC router firewall, the Primary DNS & Secondary DNS that i input on my PDC network card the one provided by my ISP. I've setup a Default FTP site on IIS, I've openned port 21 on my router, created all the necessary folder permissions on my FTP virtual directories, now whenver i access my FTP site outside my network, either using my domain name or IP, i get to a point where i can login successfully, but say if i do any other commands like list the available files, get/put files, it basically just hangs there for a minute or 2 and system just gives me an error saying connection has been terminated or say if i used CuteFTP, it give me a "Failed to establish data socket" error.

i can access the FTP site and do eveything perfectly if i'm within my home network.

Any ideas? Thanks for any suggestions!

Jayson,

You will also have to open port 20 in your firewall for the FTP to work correctly. You may also want to turn of passive (PASV)mode on your FTP client(CuteFTP) software if you still have problems.

Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestions but it still doesn't work. On CuteFTP, this is the last few lines i get:

COMMAND:> TYPE A
200 Type set to A.
COMMAND:> PORT 204,239,88,100,11,157
200 PORT command successful.
COMMAND:> LIST
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection
for /bin/ls.
ERROR:> Timeout.
ERROR:> Failed to establish data socket.

On DOS after a successful login, i type "ls" on the ftp prompt (ftp>ls) and i get:
ftp>ls
200 PORT command successful
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.

It just hangs there for like 5 minutes and finally it gives me a connection timeout.

Thanks for any help!

Jayson

The problem seems that is in the firewall. Take traces in the IIS to see if the packets arrive finally to the IIS or not(ethereal). If they finally arrive try with different clients

Epohl,

My router is SMC2404WBR (Wireless 11/22 Mbps), i've check out the link above and it is exactly what i have. I even tried putting the FTP server on DMZ, and it doesn't work either.

Mariocq,

Thanks, i'll give that a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back