Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP UNIX to Win 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

baltaone

Programmer
Feb 14, 2002
US
Here's my problem.

I have a group of files I want to transfer from a UNIX box to a Windows 2000 box. I have been granted access to a Directory under Windows 2000 (Lets Say <server>\Reports\Sales\Prep). However I have no access to folders above this level.

When I attempt the FTP:

FTP <server>
I get prompted for a username and password. I supply those for the \Reports\Sales\Prep directory and I get denied and without getting logged in I cant change directories. How can I type the FTP command to get me to the Directory I have access to?

there is a free program, WsFTP, that you can download from the net. It runs on Win2k and will ftp to & from the Unix box. I have used it extensively. You might give that program a try.

iaguy

Thanks, however I want to be able to do this from the Unix Prompt so that I can script the FTP of these files. Is there a way to pass the directory to the FTP command???

like - ftp <server> <directory> <username> <password>

Thanks

Is the target win2k box running IIS? Can you FTP to the target box from a win2k box?

I think the syntax for the FTP command in DOS is

ftp username password:server

I know that I have had problems with the permissions improperly propagating. I could be approved for a directory, denied above that directory and be denied to the folders I create below my directory. win2k is a little crusty about permissions.

Have you thought about an anonymous ftp? You would set that up on the win2K server and that would put you in the proper directory.

Another problem is that if there is a firewall or there is a proxy between the two computers, the the FTP command cannot establish the back link (a port between 1025 & 5000) for data transfer. There you have to go into the passive mode. check the win2k manual for the FTP command.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back