Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP Unable To Connect With Restricted Account

Status
Not open for further replies.

gharabed

Programmer
Sep 7, 2001
US
I am trying to set up an "ftp only" account where the user cannot login via telnet. I created the user using admintool and gave it a shell of "/bin/false" and then gave it a password (of course I have a home directory set, etc).

However, when I try to ftp to the machine/user I get "530 Login Incorrect". I even tried setting the account to "no password" and I still get the error. Is there someplace I have to say "...let this user ftp into this machine?"

Thanks,
Greg

UPDATE...I changed the shell to be /bin/csh and what do you know. I can FTP in now. However, I can also Telnet in. How do I restrict telnet access but allow ftp access?

To remove telnet server capabilites, you should comment out the "telnet" lines in /etc/services and /etc/inet/inetd.conf. For these changes to take effect, you would to a "kill -HUP ..." on inetd.

Larry

No, I still want to be able to telnet to the machine, I just don't want the "ftponly" account that I created to be able to telnet into the machine...only ftp. I don't want to remove all telnet capabilities from the machine. Only for one particular user.

Isn't /etc/shells a WU-FTPD specific thing or is it a Solaris ftp thing too? I din't see any file called /etc/shells.

Oh, so wu-ftp is an alternative to the standard ftpd? We are running ftpd. Am I unable to do an "ftp" only account with ftpd? Do I have to use wu-ftp?

Ok...I further researched this myself and found the answer for anybody that cares. Basically all you need to do is create a file called /etc/shells that contains all of the shells you want to be able to run. In my case the file looks like:

/bin/csh
/bin/sh
/bin/ksh
/bin/tcsh
/bin/false

That's it. Now, I can ftp in to the machine but cannot telnet in. Perfect! Just what I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back