Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP Too many files

Status
Not open for further replies.

YO123

MIS
Jul 26, 2001
BE
Hello,

I've a problem when FTPing 15000 files. The server gives me an error that I'm trying to FTP too many files.

Is there a patch or another way to FTP all te files at once?

Thanks,

YO

Yo,

Are those files in the same directory. If it is so, you can follow the instructions given to me by the Tek-Tips ppl. long time ago..
You can then mget * everything within a dir without being prompted.

To transfer a whole folder and everything in it, your best bet is to 'tar' the folder from the directory above it using:

#tar -cvf transfer.tar <folder_name>

and then ftp the resulting file (ie transfer.tar) to the recipient server. Place the tar file in the filesystem above where you want to create the folder and issue the extract command:

#tar -xvf transfer.tar

You can check the contents of a tar file (without restoring the files) using
#tar -tvf transfer.tar

A tip: use relative path names with tar, it makes things so much easier when you tar relative to current dir. Use wget or curl. You can get a whole bunch of files with'em

The problem is that I'm not FTP-ing to another Unix machine, but to a W2K server.

you can use winzip to extract the tar file later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back