Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP Site 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NevG

Programmer
Oct 10, 2000
GB
Hi Im trying to make an FTP site for my business client so that instead of Emailing large files we can transfer via the fTP site. Not really my idea but it does make sense for the majority of the time.

Im trying to configure my Defualt FTP Site to work via a username and login pwd.

1) I think I may be struggling with some of the preferences. I am using 2000 adv server with an ADSL line connection. The machine IP is static and , although different, so is the ISP provided IP. Which of these do I use?

2) Do I create a virtual directory inside my site and point this at the correct path?

3) How do I make my client login, where do I set username and password?

If you can think of anything else that I may need to know please tell me, i would most appreciate some help here

Thanks for any help, as much as possible

Nev G

NevG:

Perhaps this answer is a bit non-productive, but why don't you try another FTP server package, such as WarFTP - check out the info at This daemon is freeware but still very professionally made...

You write "The machine IP is static and , although different, so is the ISP provided IP." I think the one you should use is the one other users will see - i.e. the one provided by the ISP.

All setup of directories etc is made using the Internet Services Manager (this is one of the Administrative Tools) - to create a new virtual folder, simply right-click on the (default) FTP site and select New -> Virtual Folder

To define users and passwords, we set them up as users on the system - simply select Local Users & Groups in the Computer Management console (another Administrative Tool).

There's much more info at Microsoft's Technet site, see e.g. the article "Customizing the FTP Service" at
Hope this helps!
DrMaggie

---------
"Those who don't know the mistakes of the past won't be able to enjoy it when they make them again in the future."
— Leonard McCoy, MD (in Diane Duane's Doctor's Orders)

DrMaggie,

Thanks for your great reply. We struggled over this for days and the link you provided to MSKB is a very helpful tool in setting up FTP and Security Accounts. From what I've been able to gather from the article is that any user accessing the FTP service from the internet must be setup in W2000 as a user with rights to logon locally. As the article states, that's enough to throw any IIS security admininistrator into a tailspin. However, IIS has enough tools to minimize the security risk when desiring to allow outside users access to an IIS FTP service.

My ultimate question is why go through all of the trouble and headache ? I like the idea of using an alternative FTP server software program outside of IIS. About this program that you recommended... Knowing that you would have to setup an FTP user with rights to logon locally, with the absolute minimum resources, do you recommend using this 3rd party software instead of setup those security accounts in IIS ? Purely from a security standpoint..

Thanks

ToddWW

ToddWW:

Great to hear that you could benefit from that link!

To your question: yes, I believe I would rather use a third-party package than the built-in FTP server.

I don't have too much experience with the built-in one - I'm only using it one system where it was expressed explicitly by the owner that they wanted to use what came with the Windows2000 Advanced Server installation.

I am using the third-party client I mentioned earlier on a number of systems, though, and I like it very much since (after a bit of initial fumbling-around ;-) it is easy to configure and I can define different rights and directory structures for various categories of users.

In addition, I like cheap solutions which at the same time are well-documented and have active discussion groups associated with them (where one can get fast assistance).

DrMaggie

PS Whatever you do, though, please be careful with allowing ftp uploads to your server - ideally, only directory listing and no downloads should be allowed from an upload directory accessible for anaonymous users - else it will quickly become a storing place for copies of illegal software, as a colleague of mine discovered (when his large disk ran out of space a few days after it went on-line)!

---------
"Those who don't know the mistakes of the past won't be able to enjoy it when they make them again in the future."

DrMaggie - Thanks for the excellent FTP reference on Technet. I've spent two days on MS support site searching for FTP info to no avail, so was I ever happy to read on Technet everything I needed to get the @%&(*# thing working.
The only other issue I have is how to setup ftp client programs to use my Firewall's ftp port settings for listen/response. The ftp client programs I've seen allow for a special listener port assignment, but they don't allow special ports for other ftp functions.
Do you know of any that allow configuration of ALL ports?

FTP manic:

I'm happy that I was able to provide some assistance with the link to TechNet. I agree that the MS site is extremely poorly organized, although it has to be said that the search engine has improved quite substantially... Still, it is more due to chance than skill when one finds what one looks for!

As for the port setup business, I honestly don't know the answer to your question. I can only point you to an extensive overview of FTP servers made by ServerWatch - you can find that at
There you find links to a large number of various server software packages, so perhaps you'll find some you weren't aware of earlier, and may have the features you are looking for.

All the best, and a happy & safe Easter week!

DrMaggie ---------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back