Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP Setup Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevets2001uk

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2002
GB
I'm helping to setup a web server for to provide FTP services. I have setup a basic anonymous FTP site in IIS6 but the specification has more complex needs.

First pass is that we require a simple folder structure to upload our software so we can install it and share business data etc. We will require a customer FTP area with secure password etc.

Folder Structure

General(common password)
Business
Sales
Technical
Customer
Download (separate password)
Upload (separate password)

Additionally there may be a need to secure FTP using SSL or something more secure that IIS6 out-of-the box. Is there any recommended FTP software which would fit the bill for this element?

Steve G (MCSE / MCSA:Messaging)

look into products such as filezilla or implement a linux box

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

if you make an upload it is best to build a workgroup server allowing all data to be uploaded their. WIth that said, if a virus is uploaded, the network will not crash!

Thanks for the help. I went with FileZilla which seems to work pretty well.

Steve G (MCSE / MCSA:Messaging)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back