Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ftp server on XP Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispr

Technical User
May 24, 2004
CA
I have a simple ftp server running on XP Pro and I would like to have a name: ftp.mydomain.com. I already have the mydomain.com registered and a static IP address, I'm just wondering how I set up the ftp.mydomain.com and tell it to use my static IP address. I don't think I register ftp.mydomain.com as a subdomain, any help is appreciated.

You make sure your internal router is pointing all your port 21 traffic to your FTP servers root folder. Then the external address that will be used will be

ftp:\\mydomain.com

If you are looking for http:\\ftp.mydomain.com you would need to register a primary domain under the ftp namespace. it would not be a "subdomain". The ftp would specify the primary host, then mydomain.com is a subdomain of ftp.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Thanks for the good article, it put things into perspective.
Right now I'm using a free DNS service where my ftp server has the name: name.dyndns.org. It asks for my IP address of my computer and when I enable dynamic DNS on my server and type in name.dyndns.org as the server name, a script runs and it automatically detects the IP address associated with the server name from dyndns.org.

I would like to do the same thing except using ftp.mydomain.com as the server address, and having the same IP detected. I read the article and added an A record to my domain, with ftp.mydomain.com pointing towards the IP address of my computer. It says that it takes up to 24 hours for the record to become active, which I think is dumb since it should be instantaneous. I can't really test things out, so I don't know if that is correct. Should I be using a CNAME instead, since the example under CNAME mentions ftp.mydomain.com? The only problem I see with that is I am using an IP address, since the ftp server is set up on my machine and not elsewhere. Thanks.

It will take at least 24 hours to replicate. That is very normal since it has to go across the entire Internet. That is unavoidable.

Erik

So that means what I have done is correct and I just need to wait 24 hrs for the changes to take effect? Thanks.

So I made an A-record with the name: ftp.mydomain.com and it asks me to enter the IP address of the external server, so I typed in the IP address of my computer at home where the server is running. It has been about 30 hours now and the domain name still isn't resolving to anything. It is listed as a subdomain on my account.

If I go to and ping the current name of my ftp server (through name.dyndns.org), it will resolve to the IP address of my computer and everything works fine. I try the same thing with the subdomain ftp.mydomain.com and it does not resolve to anything. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks Erik, it worked after a few more hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back