Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ftp script

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenndot

Programmer
May 15, 2001
US
I'm creating an ftp script using the fcreate and fputs which I run with the runrun command later on.

What can I put in the script after the open ftp.site.com command to check that there was a successful connection?

If you use this type of program instead, you wouldn't have to try to write the script as it would return an error if it was not sucessful:

There are also some excellent examples on testing for the existence of a file, renaming, etc.

Dave S.

I'll look into that, thanks. I didn't think it was worth finding a tool initially because all I'm doing is grabbing 3 files and everything works fine, I was just wondering if there was any error checking built into foxpro to check for a successful connection as VB has. I know there's an FERROR() function, but that doesn't serve any good with a script as far as I can see.

Thanks a bunch, I'll check it out!

DO NOT USE FCREATE()!!! Don't use the command line ftp!!! In production environment this doesn't work!!!
I've developed an offline e-order app in VFP70. In my prior versions I used fcreate() on WinNT 4.0 which proved tyo be catastrophical. The only solution I've reached (after 3 years in this matter) was a Red Hat Linux dial-in server (for a better filesystem handling- this is very important) and an simple ActiveX controller which does the ftpopen, ftpget and ftpput. The ActiveX controller was developed in VisualC 6.0 by friend of mine. It took him about 6 hours with testing included, so if you can handle C++ or you have a friend that does try this solution. It was a critical bussiness solution for us. Now it's working for over 1 year with no interventions.
I hope this can help!

Ok, I'll add a platform note. I'll agree with the statement about using command line ftp, I avoid the RUN or ! command unless I absolutelay have to. The example in the link I provided has been working flawlessly on NT 4, and 2000 professional.

Dave S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back