Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwings

MIS
Aug 6, 2001
US
Is there an easy way to transfer files from one server to another? I have tried using the get command but that only seems to work on one file? I have a group of files that i need to move, but don't want to back them up and then restore. Is there a way through FTP to do this?

Is it pretty much the same as FTP or is this in conjunction with FTP?

you can use the mget or mput command in FTP to get or put multiple files using wildcards. You can also stop ftp prompting you for the next file by issuing the prompt command to toggle prompting on/off.
I am not aware of FTP recursively getting/addressing subdirectories.

One way of getting subdirectories etc, is to tar up the contents, compress/gzip them (if necessary), then ftp them, uncompressing/untarring them at the destination. HTH.

scripting an ftp of multiple files from multiple directories also is an option.

However, KenCunningham's suggestion of tarring, compressing, and sending has the advantage of the ownership, permissions, and timestamps of the original files being preserved. With an ftp, at the least the timestamps are going to change and this may be important to you.

You could look at setting a NFS Mount up. See man nfs for more info

--
| Mike Nixon
| Unix Admin
|
----------------------------

This is only going to be a once in a while thing. Just copying files from a production server to a development server for testing.

Thanks for all the quick responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back