Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ftp problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpal

Technical User
Oct 3, 2001
GB
Hi,

I have been given ftp details from an external site these details work fine with I kick off ftp from my windows workstation I get username and password and can comfirm I can log in. the problem is when I fire up a ftp to the same ip on out unix server which sits on out network I don't get a connection I can't even ping the ip, what I doing wrong as my workstation is on the same network as the unix server.

any ideas

H

is there a firewall in place between the server and outside world ? could the firewall be blocking ftp connections ?

if you need to send/retrieve a file from this site onto your unix server , why don't you do it from your PC and then ftp it to the unix server from your PC ?

I second the firewall as a likely cause. Another possibility is that the windows machine is configured to use a proxy.

A "traceroute" from each box to the ftp site might give you some useful information about what's going on. In Windows, it's "tracert".

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L

Hi,

yes we do have a firewall, does the therefore have to be configured to let the unix ping the outside world?

H

That depends on whether it's configure to disallow them now. :)

Keep in mind, there's no guarantee that a site will respond to a ping request. It's not uncommon for a firewall to ignore inbound ICMP echo requests. That's why I suggested traceroute.
Traceroute is also dependent on feedback, but a sort that is less likely to be disabled.

If there's a designated firewall administrator, they should be able (although maybe not willing) to allow your Unix server ftp access to external sites. If not, and you have access to the firewall configuration, you should be able to study the configuration that allows the Windows box out, and add the Unix box permissions yourself.

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L

Thanks guy's

the network guy's are gonna set up a static route from the unix server to the actual external ftp site fingers crossed all goes well

cheers

H

Hello, My problem is when I FTPing from an AIX 5.1 to Stratus the connection user and Password is Ok when i want put a file this process no work only when i utilizes the tool tcpdump the transfer complete, I need yours coments and help

arojasm@stimx.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back