Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jggomb

MIS
Jan 29, 2002
US
Hi-

I'm having a problem ftping into my ftp site from my remote win2000 server in my home office. I have a totally seperate network at home consiting of win2k server, win xp, and 98 clients. I have no problems gaining ftp access from my 98 clients (havent tried the xp ones)but cant get there from the win2k server. It allows me to logon with user name and password but then the browsing flash light goes for awhile but never pulls up any folders. Then I get an error

FTP folder error:

An error occurred opening that folder on the ftp server. Makesure you have permission to access that folder.

Details:
The connection with the server was reset.

Anyone have any ideas? Like I said I can connect no problem from the 98 clients using the same username and password.

Thanks

are all those other machines (not your home machine) either domain members or logging into the domain? What happens if you temporarily enable Anonymous access?

No.. I can't figure it out. In the office we have an nt 4 pdc & bdc and a few win2k member servers. One win2k server is hanging off my firewalls DMZ port and not logging onto the domain. I'm running IIS with web and ftp. Any pc (nt4,win2k pro,xp)on the office network can access the ftp server through its public address. If I goto my home office (win2k server and maybe 5 clients mostly XP)I cant get to the ftp server. Like I said above,I'm able to logon but cant view the files or folders. If I try to logon with my 98 client from the home network it works fine. It strange.
I wont be in the office today but I can try to enable anonymous access on friday. I dont see why that should work though. My ftp users are all local users to the server (because its not logging on to the domain and all have admin access). It should work.........

I had this once and fixed it by creating an identical user/pass on the Windows 2000 server (client side). I know - wierd!

Nada..... Tried it and it didnt work either...... Real strange.

it shocks me that nobody has even suggested the most simplistic thing to try.
you say it works in win98 but not in win2k?
how are you logging in?
win2k uses a different username convention than the other windows operating systems.
try yourusername.yourdomainname.com, and see if that helps.

that's why I was asking about the domain thing....but he says the FTP server is not a domain member and he's using local user authentication, so it shouldn't matter.

i screwed up my message. it should have been:
yourusername@yourdomainname.com

Nope that didnt work either. Its gotta be something stupid.

Make sure you have "use passive ftp" unchecked in the tools, internet options, advanced menu of IE.

Shannan

I'm having this problem as well and have been battling for a week now.

My ftp folder is on a W2K DC and, although I've solved problems in the past that way, you can't add a local user on a DC. I'm using IE under winXP as ftp client.

FTP access does work with a 'different' FTP client though- Frontpage & CuteFTP both logon and work - weird!

Like you, I get the blinking cursor at the DOS prompt after a successful Telnet or ftp session.

I'm thinking this has to be a call to MS - it's certainly not right. normal, or expected behavior! I can't believe that this issue is unique to this thread and that no-one's come across it before????

How hard can this be!!!!!

I was so frustrated with this after my last posting up there that - I just found the answer (hopefully for you too)

Try this:

Internet Explorer, Tools, Options, Advanced and

I turned OFF the tick mark for using passive ftp!!!!!

That's why the CuteFTP and Frontpage worked!

I hope this works for you.....

How Hard can it be!

Oh, and you might have to go to Admin Settings, Local Security policy, User rights.

I had to go there and give my new ftp user 'logon locally' rights.

Hope that all helps.

How Hard can it be!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back