Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jggomb

MIS
Jan 29, 2002
US
Hi-

I'm having a problem ftping into my ftp site from my remote win2000 server in my home office. I have a totally seperate network at home consiting of win2k server, win xp, and 98 clients. I have no problems gaining ftp access from my 98 clients (havent tried the xp ones)but cant get there from the win2k server. It allows me to logon with user name and password but then the browsing flash light goes for awhile but never pulls up any folders. Then I get an error

FTP folder error:

An error occurred opening that folder on the ftp server. Makesure you have permission to access that folder.

Details:
The connection with the server was reset.

Anyone have any ideas? Like I said I can connect no problem from the 98 clients using the same username and password.

Thanks

are you using anonymous ftp acces in the server? IS it enabled? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

well did you check if the user has the proper permisssions on that folder? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Thanks but like I said in the original post, I can Logon no problem from my 98 clients using the same user name. Do i have to change anything because its a 2000 server thats connecting? Its real strange because I believe it logs me on but gives me an error when its tring to browse the folders. It kinda seems like a permission thing but why would it allow me to connect using the same user info on a 98 machine?

there are policies applying to winXP atht wont apply to win98. Windows 98, is not a network Operating System like win 2000 or Xp, they interact different when working with windows 2000 server. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

they can interact in a similar (but never iqual) way, if you made them work that way A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

go to the folder your trying to access and look under sharing or/and Security and look what permissions have that particular user or group of users (the user must belong to it) you'r using to access it.If there is nothing there add that user or the group.IN the share i susually use full access to evryont, and the under Security i narrow the permissions, but is not always.Check under policies under administratirve tools anything related to access. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

try entering "domain\username" for the username.
if that works change the default domain to the web servers domain.

I tried that but I got the same problem. It must be a permissions thing. I'll take a look at it when I go into the office in the morning. Win98 clients work fine. I've noticed that it doesn't work with nt4, win2k, or xp. I'll post the fix if and when I find one.

Thanks

u cannot access this locally, is that what your trying to do. from the server where the ftp is on? also are u using the ftp service on the win2k server. u have to try doing this from a different computer so u can test it. also if this is not it make sure u have the IUSR_(comuter name) as the anyonomous connection and check the allow iis to control password. and in directory secuirity make sure that all access is checked.

A+
NET+
MSCE
MSCA

Thanks, PAUL

his not using anonymous connections, maybe that is one of his requirements.If not jog, try using it. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Ok i've checked all my security levels(I think) and they all seem fine. The user is a local user with admin rights and has permission to the dir (full control). I have anonymous logons disabled (because I only want a few admin people to have ftp access). I can ftp in from many different locations, ie: in the office connected to dsl from another win2k server and a nt 4 server, from a remote location using win98 but cant logon with my win2k server. The browser allows me to goto ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and then asks me for my user name and password (which I enter the same as the other clients that worked. The browser then takes me to ftp://user name@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and a flash light appears in the browser window and browses for folders but never pulls up anything but the error message:

FTP folder error:

An error occurred opening that folder on the ftp server. Makesure you have permission to access that folder.

Details:
The connection with the server was reset.

I know I have the correct permissions because I can get into it from other machines. Could it have something to do with my home 2000 server? I tried updating the browser to 6.0 but that didnt do anything. And also load sp3 for win2k server. Any ideas???????

try using ftp from the command promt to see what happens.
Once in the command prompt, type Ftp (and Return) then use the command open and the IP address or the domain name to open the connection. It will prompt you for user and password, look if it list everything A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

I went out to a command prompt and typed ftp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. It then asked me for my user name (i entered that and hit enter). Password and did the same. It then said "230 User xxxxx logged in, and then gave me a ftp> prompt. I didnt see any thing else. No folders or anything.

did you type LS? to list the directory?
A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Opps sorry..... All i get is a blinking cursor.

MS ftp supports all the comon dos commands, type help for a full set of commands. dir or LS will do for a start.
Or... just open the ftp session in a browser and you should be able to drag and drop files to the active window.

Its real strange. It allows me to logon but wont give me access to the files or folders. I can gain access from all 98 machines, some xp machines and some win2k pcs, but not my home office win2k server. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back