Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmacman

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2001
US
I have a problem with my FTP server using IIS. I am not sure if I am dealing with an NT Server policy issue or an IIS issue, but I thought I would give this a shot. I have an FTP process set up to where our clients can access file downloads via ftp. The only problem (and it is a big one) is that we can not find a way for our clients to log in without being local administrators on the server. Has anyone seen this? We are at the end of our rope on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

B

Hi.

This sounds like this may be IIS, NT permissions, or a policy problem

The administrator is part of the site operators group in IIS and on the whole it has full access to everywhere under NT which will allow it to log on regardless.

It may help to check the following:

In IIS under the ftp site you are using what are the settings? Are you allowing anonymous connections? If you are, is it using the default web account? or have you used an user account you created?

If it is using the IUSR account, be careful that it is not in the guests group which you may have restricted access for this area. If you have created a user account, you may not have granted it permission to access the folder using ntfs; it is also worth checking to see if under usrmgr/policies you haven't excluded this account from logging on locally - which would also stop you from logging on through ftp. You should also check the access permissions under the home page tab to make sure your account has the read access it needs.

I hope this is helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back