Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kchinnaswamy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 31, 2001
US
I have to transfer Log files between unix servers. The problem on one
end is that there is a firewall. There is a FTP site where they are going
to put the files that I need to pick up/upload. My UNIX server is not connected
to the internet. Could some one please suggest some ways to
accomplish this task.

thanks in advance
Kumar

It's usually possible to get past the firewall (we do it all the time for instance, and we have network security so tight it makes your eyes water), but the way it's done varies quite a bit -- talk to your firewall admin people Kumar. Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Mike

We are trying to FTP a log file between Unix Servers. Thanks for your
response. If I have to get around the firewall is there any way that we can put the log files on a floppy then upload them?

I also want to know how to transfer a file from Unix to floppy. I am pretty new to

this stuff.

thanks in advance

Kumar

Floppies shouldn't be a problem Kumar -- What version of UNIX are you using?

Make sure you talk to the firewall people though -- there's probably a way to do it.

Regards,
Mike
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Mike

AIX version is 4.3.

I will still talk to the firewall people.

thanks. Your early response is highly appreciated.

Kumar

Kumar,

I'm not in the office today (because it's snowing like mad here) so I'll have to answer your question about floppies tomorrow, unless someone else would like to jump in?

In the meantime: Have a look in the /dev/ directory for a device or devices that start with 'fd'. Also have a look at the dd command.

A way you copy to and from floppies is like this:

# copy from a floppy to a file
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/tmp/myfile

# copy from file to a floppy
dd if=/tmp/myfile of=/dev/fd0

Having said that -- you need to be reading/writing the correct device file for the floppy, and that's what I can't tell yuo at the moment. Have a look around. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back