Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk8415

MIS
Dec 15, 2000
US
I have several mainframes in the midwest currently able to connect to an outside ip xxx.xx.xxx.xxx and get a login prompt.
# ftp -n xxx.xx.xxx.xxx
Connected to xxx.xx.xxx.xxx
220-
220-
220 FTP server (Version wu-2.4.1(SecurID cert patch)) ready.
Remote system type is UNIX.

However, I have several mainframes on the pacific coast that cannot connect to the same ip address xxx.xx.xxx.xxx and do not get the login prompt or it just hangs with no response at all.

# ftp -n xxx.xx.xxx.xxx
Connected to xxx.xx.xxx.xxx.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
ftp>

The /etc/hosts file is exactly the same along with all configuration files. The systems on the pacific coast have been allowed access through the firewall to this specific ip. Is there a way to do some kind of "tracert" from this Unix box to the outside IP to see where it's hanging up at? Any suggestions on isolating this problem would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Sure you should be able to run "command: traceroute ${IP}", can you telnet to this mainframe from the unix box? If not, I would say that the routing is not the same then.

I can telnet from all sites to the outside address but it comes back with this "Connection closed by foreign host." after it connects so it must not allow telnet sessions.

Also, I did a search and don't have the command "traceroute".

Any other suggestions?

either that, or the remote host(s) doesn't have the correct entries in the /etc/shells. This file should contain ALL the shells 'allowed' to be ran on that host(s). vlad
+---------------------------+
|#include<disclaimer.h> |
+---------------------------+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back