Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kev01

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2003
GB
Hi,

just a simple question..I stopped my FTP service on my Windows server 2003. But when i scan for open port using a scanning utility, I can see my FTP Port 21 open. Does that mean that the FTP service is still running??? (Last week, my FTP server has been hacked)

Thanks in advance

Port 21 is indead used for FTP control sessions. So if it is still "open" it means probably that there is still a FTP deamon running on your system.
regards,
robert

How shall I stop a FTP deamon running on my system?
Thanks

look in the services menu, it should be there, change the startup from automatic or manual to disabled.

start\controlpanel\administrative tools\services
regards,
robert

it is disabled..but when i scan my ports...i can see that port 21 is open.
how can i close down port 21?
thanks in advance,

should be closed?
try netstat -a at the command prompt and see what is popping up there.
regards,
Robert

Try 'awpta - Atelier Web Ports Traffic Analyser' (shareware):

or

I does real-time mapping of ports to processes (applications and services)! You get 15 executions or 15 days to try out this tool.

With this tool, you should be able to find out what process is initializing FTP port 21. Highly recommended.

hi,

I have actually closed port 21 from my firewall!

Thanks vop for the info! i'll have a look,

cheers,
kev01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back