Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ftp pointing to default web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empeethree

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2000
US
Hello,
I am wondering how I would go about making point to Ftp://ftp.domain.com. Currently if someone goes to Ftp:// they get the Ftp site, but if they put in they get my default (intranet) site. I am currently using NT authorization , so the user can log onto the default website (I need to block this from happening). Box stats: Win NT 4.0 sp6a / IIS 4.0

Thanks in advance
Rob

Hi!

You can change this from the properties of the default ftp site (you can go on properties from the MMC->right click the default ftp site and click on properties)go on the home directory tab and define the folder where you wnats the ftp folder.close the anonymous access to the directory (for security)

James Li

Thanks Itguru for the reply,
The FTP site works fine as long as the user puts FTP:\\Ftp.domain.com, the problem is if they put in Http:\\Ftp.domain.com they go to the default web site not the ftp site. The only reason this is an issue is I have a person in california that can't for the life of him get this right (even after I send a link , send step by step pictures, ect.) And with myself being in Indiana, makes it a little rough ;-). So what I tried to do was set up another website to handle and redirect it to the Ftp://ftp.domain.com. I couldnt get this to work, so I had to use permissions to make sure the account this person logs into can't access the folder of the default website.

thanks again in advance
Rob

First step is you have to make sure that your main DNS server (most likely ISP) has an entry pointing ftp.domain.com to your ip adress. The stardard configuration of IIS 5.0 will automatically steer that address to ftp://domain.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back