Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ftp permissions question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffvb9

Technical User
Nov 14, 2002
US
I finally can log into my proftpd ftp server with anonymous or my account. I have a directory set up in my conf file to allow uploads. /home/ftp/pub i have chmod to 777 on the pub directory for right now.

am getting this error when trying to upload:
connected to xx.xx.xx.xxx
STOR whatsnew.txt
550 whatsnew.txt:permission denied.

What steps should I take to make sure I have everthing setup correctly?

Hey Jeff,

I thought I recognized your username somewhere....

Paste us your proftpd.conf file, there is more than likely something in there that needs to be changed.
logo-tektips.gif

Hey Mark....

Here it is. Still trying to get this all straightened out. Settting up all this configuration stuff can be confusing with 10 different ways to do everything.

Thanks,
jeff

ServerName "Pheffination.com"
ServerType standalone
DefaultServer on

Port 21
Umask 022
MaxInstances 30

User nobody
Group nobody

<Directory /*>
AllowOverwrite on
</Directory>

<Anonymous ~ftp>
AnonRequirePassword off
User ftp
Group ftp
RequireValidShell off

UserAlias anonymous ftp
MaxClients 10
DisplayLogin welcome.msg
DisplayFirstChdir .message
<Directory *>

<Limit WRITE>
DenyAll
</Limit>
</Directory>

<Directory ~/ftp/pub>
<Limit STOR>
AllowAll
</Limit>
<Limit READ>
DenyAll
</Limit>
</Directory>

</Anonymous>
<Global>
RootLogin on
RequireValidShell off
</Global> 71,1 Bot

The 550 error usually means the file name already exists and youdo not have permission to overwrite it. Try removing or moving the existing file and upload again. If i works, you could write a script to move the file and cron it.

I have a router on my system where I have ports opened on 20 and 21 for FTP. That would be it for a firewall.

Hello:
###########################
</Anonymous>
<Global>
RootLogin on
RequireValidShell off
</Global>
###########################

I'm not sure I'd be too comfortable w/ providing root access to ftp.

Allowing root to login trough anything (ssh, telnet, ftp, etc) is never a wise idea

You are right...

It has been removed.

Here is a shot,

With your umask, you are uploading files with a 755 permissions, meaning that only the creator has permissions to overwrite it. Maybe try changing the umask to 000. This may work.
logo-tektips.gif

Usually &quot;annom&quot; access is ment as a means to provide &quot;downloads&quot;. I shouldn't think there would be any situation where 'anybody' would be allowed to upload a file w/o a valid account of some sort. Obvious reasons are &quot;file corruption/tampering, virus's, trojans&quot; etc etc

Which would explain why you're not having an easy time of it ;)

Thanks Mark...I will give that a shot!

BitFuzzy...Thanks. I see where you are going with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back