Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP Permission / Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

djabell

Instructor
Apr 9, 2001
GB
I've got a Linux server acting as an ftp server and I've setup a group of users who's home directory is under a directory called 'groups'. However, when I login through ftp using one of the users I have created, I can cd to the root and see all the system files, etc. How to I set the 'groups' directory as the ftp root so that the users cannot cd to any directory below it?

For each user that needs groups as his/her root edit the entry in /etc/passwd to resemble this:

username:x:UID:GID::/path/to/groups/./:shell

the most important bit is ./ after the path to groups, this is the 'chroot syntax'

Good Luck
--
Scott

I've checked and double-checked the modifications as suggested, but whenever I log in using one the users and type the 'pwd' command, I see 'groups/Group<n>'. Is there anything I should be checking/modifying in addition to the passwd file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back