Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP or file sharing solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADoozer

Programmer
Dec 15, 2002
AU
Ive run into the same problem everyone else seems to have regarding an FTP server on a local network.

Im trying to access the ftp server from the internet, however it is located behind a router with NAT and this is obviously not allowing the connection.

the router is a belkin f5d5230/4 which is about as admin friendly as a rotweiler with a bee up its butt, so a lot of the "administrator solutions" that are posted on the web are not realy an option for me.

i have read (somewhere) about a piece of software that will strip out the reserved address (192.168.x.x) and replace it with the WAN address, but am yet to find this holy grail of software.

can anyone shed any light on workarounds or alternate solutions for sharing files over the internet.

(NB. the following article may give an indication of solutions i have tried already
If somethings hard to do, its not worth doing - Homer Simpson

too much 49374'ing, im 57005... need 12648430

i have, and it doesnt help.

even with ports 20 and 21 forwarded/open the session still times out due to no response from the server (both PORT and PASV).

if i stick the server in the DMZ then i can connect.. but thats not realy a solution.

nor can i do any fancy administrator settings to configure the firewall to allow in the entire ephemeral port range.

The biggest problem you will have is trying to test your FTP server, as the router will not reverse route. You need to test using a different WAN IP; perhaps you have a dial-up that is working on another computer, or use a friend's computer at their house.

You can try disabling remote access to the router and substituting the LAN IP of the router, but this is even iffier than establishing a true remote connection.

Servers that can do PASV mode behind an NAT firewall:
wu-ftpd
BPFTPServer (Bullet Proof FTP0
Serv-U

Clients that can do PORT mode behind an NAT firewall:
FlashFXP
BPFTP (Bullet Proof FTP)

Routers, FTP and Ports

Special Problems for PPoE

BPFTP Setup behind a router

Serv-U Setup suggestions

Information About the IIS File Transmission Protocol (FTP) Service

thanks. will give the links a viewing.

i assumed there may be an issue of connecting via the wan from another PC on the same network, but i got a friend to try and connect with the same results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back