Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP not installed on IIS5 - how to install without reconfig of IIS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahaws

Programmer
Nov 28, 2001
US
Hello.
I am trying to set up an FTP site, but when I go to the IIS Manager and right click my site, new FTP, it gives..
"This service is not installed on this machine".
How do I install?
If any suggestions, all is appreciated.
Thanks
Angie

Open the IIS console and right click on your server name, then New-->FTP site.
IS that what you did ? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

Hi koquito-
yes that is what I did. It came back and said that it wasnt installed on this machine.
I thought FTP was auto installed?
angie

Go to add/remove programs in the control panel, choose add/remove windows components, choose Internet Information Services (IIS) and choose the details button. Then select FTP server. I am assuming this is Windows 2000, let me know if it is not.

hello epohl-
Thanks. Yes. Win2000 server. That did the trick!
Have a great day
Angie

I have a similar problem not with FTP but with SMTP virtual server. I have a windows XP box and i tried to add/remove components. still doesnt install the SMTP. Any ideas why and ways around it ?
Thanks in advance

Does it give you any kind of error message or just does not install? Also does it generate any errors in event viewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back