Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ftp login problem with @ in password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasslor

Technical User
Dec 13, 2000
US
Hi,
I'm having a problem using IIS Ftp on a Win2K server. Everything seems to work fine except I have one user who has a "@" in his password. Is there any way that while using IE you can have an at sign in your password and still connect.

Any help would be appreciated
Brendan Conway
brendan_conway@hotmail.com

I had the same problem with a user having the "#" char in his password. Internet Explorer kept thinking it was related to a web page and I had to eventually tell the user to change it and not use the "#" char.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Unfortunatly, most basic users only know Internet Explorer and don't even know what FTP is! It's easier to change the password than to start explaining to users (especially clients) to use another software....

For security reasons, I don't recommend half the M$ products, but unfortunatly, business leads the software industry, not security.... that's why there are so many network admins needed.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

My initial guess would be to try escaping the @, like \@. I have no idea if that would work.

Some symbols just aren't very good in user IDs and passwords. The @ is commonly used as a delimiter, not just by IE. I'd probably avoid at least @ : and # offhand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back