Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP load problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank4d

Technical User
Nov 5, 2004
US
I have a dual Xeon PC running XP Pro SP1 and is connected to a Linksys 10/100 switch ($50 switch). And I have a computer with three PowerPC cards running VxWorks, and three ethernet connections to the Linksys switch. I am running a FTP server (Texas Imperial WFTPD Pro 3.20) running on the XP computer. All four CPUs have static IPs, and all four have 100Mbps ethernet connections.

When I power up the PowerPC box, the three CPUs attempt to load VxWorks files via FTP from the hard drive on the XP computer... all at the same time. The three files are on one hard drive, but are in different directories.

One PowerPC card (a DY-4 SVME-712) loads, and the other two cards (DY-4 SVME-182) hang, and eventually time-out. If I disconnect any one of the three, then the other two will load. I only have a problem when all three are connected.

Disconnecting one of the three PowerPCs is not an acceptable solution. So, I have tried:
* Different ($50) 10/100 switch.
* Tried Windows XP Qos packet scheduling off and on.
* Set up WFTPD Pro as one server with three users.
* Set up WFTPD Pro to run three concurrent servers with each user accessing one server.
* Tried using Ethereal to analyze traffic. I don't see any difference when two PowerPcs are connected and load vs. when three PowerPcs are connected and fail to load.

I am running out of ideas. Tomorrow I am going to try a $500 "smart" switch. Are there any XP Pro TCP/IP registry tweaks that I should be aware of? Better TFTP setvers? Other free ethernet analyzers better than Ethereal?

Now I don't think a new switch is the solution on your problem. Especially since you have already tried a different one.

I'm a bit confused as to what you are running on the XP machine. Is it a FTPD or a TFTPD?

How many concurent connections is you service allowing? It could be that your demon only allows two connections, thus when you get 3 users trying to access the service it stops.

I would try a different FTPD see if that helps or check in the configuration how many users that can connect at the same time.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

I am running Texas Imperial WFTPD Pro 3.20 server. It is set up to allow six users and I set the timeout to 5 minutes. I tried three other switches with the same results.

I read on the DY-4 Systems website that this is a known problem with VxWorks and some FTP servers, so I downloaded a few others to try today.

I replaced the old WFTPD Pro server with GuildFTPD which corrected the problem.

Glad you got down the source of the problem.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back