Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

imad77

Instructor
Oct 18, 2008
CA
Hi,

I installed a new AIX 5.3 server, and I want to setup FTP server.

I'm able to connect to this FTP server by using root account from any station. But I'm not able to connect via another created user. Is there something that I missed in the configuration?

I don't see /etc/ftpusers nor /etc/ftpaccess.ctl nor any FTP file configuration.

When I run this command :

lslpp -L | grep bos.net.tcp.client

I got this result :

bos.net.tcp.client 5.3.7.4 C F TCP/IP Client Support

Can someone help to setup this created user to be able to use this FTP?

Thanks a lot,

Imad77

My first thought was /etc/ftpusers but you say there is not one soo... I must ask some of the obvious questions.

1. The users can login normally using other services (ssh/telnet)?

2. You are using AIX's ftp server not another app like Proftpd?

3. I know question 1 more less answers this but I will ask anyways in the /etc/security/user file does rlogin = yes for the users you want to allow access?

Those are just a few things that rolled off the top of my head.

1- this created account is not able to login using ssh/telnet.
2. I did not install any application from any other CD. I installed only AIX applications.
3-rlogin=true

Have you any suggestion?

Thanks

Hi,

I resolved the problem by running this comamnd:

chsubserver -a -v ftp -p tcp

Now the created user is able to use FTP.

Thanks a lot.

Glad you got it to work but I still don't really understand the solution.

It looks like to me you simply enabled the ftp server with the "chsubserver" command, which actually just modifies /etc/inetd.conf But if it wasn't enabled to begin with how were you connecting to it with the root account...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back