Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP in Explorer Window - Add Network Place Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOKIDOG

Technical User
Apr 25, 2001
US
I used to be able to create a network place for FTP sites - convenient for quick file downloads and uploads with my clients.

Now they won't work. I think some settings were changed, but as far as I can tell, it's all the same. I did not change anything.

When I add my FTP site - ftp://(my address) in the wizard - I get the error: The folder you entered does not appear to be valid.

When I try to enter it in the address box, it goes right to IE and I enter the password, but I can't open it in a Exporer page - I get "This FTP site cannot be viewed in Windows Explorer"

I do have an FTP server running - Filezilla - could this be interfering. It was always loaded - so it would be an update that changed things. That is, I was able to use eplorer as an FTP folder with Filezilla a few months ago.

Thanks.

Opening Webfolders via FTP in IE7
thread779-1414985

I got this from Google some time ago, I don't remember the exact link, so I let you try it out if you like. I have tested it on XP with IE 8, it seemed to work OK.

"Have you tried this before you go to another browser? It works for me in IE 8.

To Connect to the ftp folder in Vista:

1. Open Internet Explorer
2.In the address field, enter (for example an ftp address ftp://ftp.ecgraphics.biz)
3. Click the "Go Button"
4. Click on the View tab at the top of Internet Explorer
5. Click on Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer
6. In Vista a new window will open. Right click in the white field and scroll down to the login tab, click on Login As...
7. In the Login Box for User name type in the details:
8. You are now ready to drag and drop your files on the white field in the window."

Nope. I said in the original that I tried that. "When I try to enter it in the address box, it goes right to IE and I enter the password, but I can't open it in a Exporer page - I get "This FTP site cannot be viewed in Windows Explorer""

That is when I either choose View - or Page in IE and choose 'open FTP Site in Windows Explorer' I get the error...

However this used to work fine. Something changed it, don't know what as I have not changed much lately except a few minor updates (not to Windows though)

Might be some registry setting, but which one?

What happens if you open a cmd prompt and type
ftp (my address)
the command line ftp client should connect to your ftp server and prompt you for a username. Does that happen?

If not, have you checked ports 20 & 21 are open?
Can you connect to your ftp server from another machine ok?

Try shutting down filezilla to see if it is interfering, but I doubt it because I have filezilla server running on an xp pro sp3 system and ftp out from there and also connect to the local ftp server all the time.

What happens if you ftp://127.0.0.1

Jock

the first suggestion - ftp through command line. What was presented is not enough - it won't work without more commands. But I run a batch file that FTP's and puts things on my web server. Same process - and it works.

I can also FTP through my applications, and FTP client.

It's only Windows that is not working.

The second suggestion - I really can't quite make out. I went to the first link - it said enter this: x: " /User:UserName Password

I do with my info and get "The system cannont find the drive specified"

Besides - That's not the way I did it before, when it worked.

Oh, Jock - you need to put in an Open command.

It works fine. I can connect this way to other ftp sites. It's definitely a problem with Windows!

Just don't know where the problem is or where to look.

The first link states to use the following in a CMD window (aka DOS box, CLI, Shell):

net use x: " /User:UserName Password /persistent

where x is the drive letter you want the WebFolder to point to...
where " is the remote folder you want to connect to...
where /User:UserName Password is the user that has full permissions to that remote folder...
where /persistent is the switch to make the link permanent, e.g. in your Network Places...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back