Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP HELP -- urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsekhar

Technical User
Dec 4, 2002
US
Hi,

Someone on this forum please help. I have solaris 8 installed on sunfire v100. I am able to connect to the server and download files but does not allow me to upload files.
I installed PROFTPD on a different port that also has same problem and my open ssh is also having same problems.

Hopefully some one will help keep my job :)

Do the account you are logging into have permission to write to that directory?

it has, I chmod 777 even that did not help

ftp daemons usually run as a specific user - can you "su -" to this user, navigate to the directory and touch a file?

There should also be log files produced for the ftp daemon (if you can find them) - do they give a clue?

If you try the system ftp daemon again, start it by hand with in.ftpd -dl and check out the systme log files (could be messages or syslog depending on how you have your system configured.

Check out the man page for in.ftpd as well as this details all the requiremetns for the system ftp deamon. We do use ncftpd for some of our servers as it is more flexible, so it may be worth trying that too if all else fails.

N.

Are you getting any type of message when you try to upload?

What are you using to upload and down load files ? FTP ? or something else ? if you are using ftp check the ftp.allow or the ftp.deny files. There should be either one or the other NOT both. root is often not allowed to ftp to a server by default.

P.

Hi,

I am using cute ftp to upload/download also tried from command line from windows and unix workstations.
I have an ftp.allow file and have given my ip address. I am able to connect fine and download files, but while upload it times out after some time.

Thx

Are you going through a proxy server to get to it? Some proxy servers are configured to only allow ftp in one direction. Here at work, I can FTP things from my home server, but not to it. That's due to the proxy server. I even get a dialog box pop up telling me that.

Hi,

I am going thru a linksys router. There is no proxy server.

Thanks

Are you trying to go in as root. If so, check /etc/ftpusers file. Remove root entry from the file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back