Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP going to wrong directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

AyyTee1

Technical User
Dec 27, 2002
US
I have setup FTP using IIS 5.1 on xp pro. I am new to using IIS. I have 2 virtual directories in D:\Inetpub\ftproot. (D: is where my windows is.) I figured out that you need to have folders with the same Alias name in the ftproot folder. I had everything going fine at one point using port 21. Then I installed Norton Anti virus 2008. Then the ftp stopped working. Not sure if Norton had anything to do with it, but it happened at the same time. So I uninstalled norton cuz I didn't like it anyway. I installed AVG, and also reinstalled IIS. So now when I try ftp with port 21, it gives me an error when I try to start it. It says "unexpected error 0x8ffe2740 occurred." I can go to IIS, right click "Default FTP Site" properties and change the port to 22. It will start, no problem. But if I try to go to ftp://localhost it asks for user name and password and will give me a site with no directories. If I do ftp://localhost:22 it will give me the directories I want and doesn't ask for username and password. Why is it doing this? I want it to go automatically without specifying ports. I know I was messing around with settings while teaching myself how to set it up so maybe I could have changed something that I don't recall doing. Thanks in advance. :)

You should take this problem to one of the windows server forums. Your problem is not tcp/ip which is what this forum is about.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

I can go to IIS, right click "Default FTP Site" properties and change the port to 22.
Why? That port is well known for ssh!

Burt

just to test to see if it works, because 21 was not working.

" I can go to IIS, right click "Default FTP Site" properties and change the port to 22"---try 2121---it should work the way you want it then. If that's a no go, then I would just uninstall the ftp services and IIS and then reinstall it---start from scratch...Windows IIS gets goofed up very easily.
Actually, I would just make an ftp server by building a UNIX box---they have Solaris 10 (Sun) for X86 processor systems for free. It's very stable and reliable, and you have more control over it (if you know a little UNIX).
By the way, Norton WILL goof it up, unless you allow ftp through the firewall.

Burt

Thanks I will try 2121. I did try to reinstall IIS and start from scratch but that didn't help. I would rather not use a separate box for what I am trying to do, but thanks for the suggestion. I did allow FTP through windows firewall. but I did not see any place in norton to configure ports. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back