Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP Files truncated in Access 2010 on Win7 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyKeen

Programmer
Jul 10, 2003
GB
Ref thread705-1703957

I am using code based on 1DMF's method in a database I wrote a number of years ago. This code has been working perfectly ever since for a client company transferring .csv order files created in an access database and then passed to their suppliers for fulfilment. The same FTP routines are also used to transfer summary data to the head office on a weekly basis. Just recently but for some weeks now, some of these transfers have been failing. They do not report any errors and the routines continue past the actual transmission as if all was well. However at the receiving end the files have been truncated and do not contain all the data!

This is happening on just 3 machines of 7, all of which are transmitting to the same place, using the same security and were set up by the same IT people. I have run some tests by amending the domain, logins etc and transmitting using the same database etc from my machine to my personal domain. The files appear to transfer but are truncated consistently, repeating a transfer proves the failure point is always the same. Changing the buffer size changes the point at which the file is truncated. There is nothing in the data which would cause truncation and I am at a loss to explain the issue. The only common factor is that the machines which fail (including mine) are running windows 7, those that work are running XP - and of course the code! Copying the database to one of the 4 working machines and running the transfer again from there results in the files being transmitted correctly.

Does anybody know of any sudden issues with wininet or any upgrades to win7 which might have a bearing? I am running out of ideas? I have watched the code run and all data appears to be processed through the routine and sent correctly! The working machines remain functioning perfectly, it is just the win7 machines which fail.

Hope somebody can help point me in the right direction. I am supposed to have retired but this client is completely stuck and have turned to me as a last resort! I have spent all day looking but so far can't see anything which would explain what it happening.

Thanks

Hi Andy,

I am running the code on nothing but Win7 machines these days, all seems fine?

Are you sure they are all running the same version of the DB and you have added the fix for the remainder handling using MOD?

I have updated my FAQ with the new code : faq705-5904

Also how big is the file? Have you tried increasing the buffer size?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Thanks 1DMF. I have tried everything I can think of and double checked my version the code - even put in the fix for the remainder handling. I am confident that the code is fine - and it has always worked in the past. I was grasping at straws I guess, just wondering if there was some "external" change that might have been noticed by others. Glad to hear there isn't. Will have to focus back on the environment, routers, configurations etc. There must be a reason why some machines work and some don't - regardless of file size. Thanks for posting the code in the first place by the way. It was a big help then too!

Will have to focus back on the environment, routers, configurations etc.
Well if there is anything specific you need advice on, I'm sure TT will have a forum for that :)

I even retested the accompanying FTP application I provide in the FAQ zip file after implementing the new code, and it uploaded an image to our webserver without problems.

As you say if it was working fine, and still works fine on some machines, but not on others, it does imply it can't be the code but more the environment.

Have you ran SFC (System File Checker) and also checked the wininet.dll versions for possible root kit tampering?

The machines that fail, do they all fail in the same place with the same file or is it random?

Do they all use the same FTP credentials?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back