Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP directory 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lardum

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2000
SE
Anyone know how to stop a user from seeing another users directory? <br>For example i have three users: User1, User2, User3<br><br>These have directories in the Users directory under ftproot. <br><br>I've tried with the No Access property without success..<br>Regards<br><br>Lars<br>

Don't know if this will work for you, because it requires using secure login for ftp and not anonymus login, and the directory configuration may not fit your requirements.<br><br>Configure Ftproot this way ( Place the UserXXX directories directly under FTProot)<br><br>ftproot<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;User1<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;User2<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;User3<br><br>The directory name Must match the login name, this forces behavior like a home directory.&nbsp;&nbsp;When they login in they see the inside of thier directory.<br><br>Hope this helps or points you in the right direction.

Yes,<br>This id exactly what i did, but the user can still walk up to the FTPROOT dir and list all the other users directories even though he has No Access on all other directories but his own.<br><br>Regards<br><br>Lars<br>

have you found any solutions to this? We're facing similar problem and finding solutions for this.<br><br>Please keep me posted at <A HREF="mailto:amit@planetace.com">amit@planetace.com</A><br>

Actually i haven't.<br><br>I know how to stop the user from seeing the directories, but the way i have solved this in causes the user to relogon if he goes up one step from his homedirectory.<br><br>Regards<br><br>Lars<br>

Hi all.<br><br>I know how to solve this problem..<br><br>The main thing to get your head around is how nt gives ftp users access to directories.&nbsp;&nbsp;It mixes the ntfs permissions and iis permissions.<br><br>Start by creating a local account for each ftp user you wish to give access to; preferably using the ip respective to the web site - if you are short on ip's use ports.<br><br>Then create a new ftp site for each user under iis.&nbsp;&nbsp;Point them to the physical directory you wish them to have access to, ie local path:<br>d:\inetpub\ftproot\upload1<br><br><br>Then go to the directory using nt explorer and check the ntfs permissions on the folder - remove the iusr_yourmachinename account (the default iis account) make sure you have the everyone account removed as well.<br><br>ideally from the root level of your wherever your inetpub directory is your security permissions should be..<br><br>system - full control<br>administrators - full control<br>everyone - rx<br><br>then in each folder you want give access to<br><br>system - full control<br>administrators - full control<br>(the username you have created) - change<br><br>Then in iis mmc go to the ftp security accounts for each site and choose browse - which gives you your user manager list.&nbsp;&nbsp;Make sure you are looking at your local, not your domain user list!<br><br>Choose the user account you have created, uncheck your anonymous options and that will give a secure(ish) and user specific access set-up through ftp.<br><br>Hope this helps.<br><br><br><br><br>

Create the directories outside of the ftproot. (i.e. in a totally separate directory) and create virtual ftp sites(or directories) pointing to each real directory.&nbsp;&nbsp;This will allow you to setup permissions independently. <p>Robin Ptasiuk<br><a href=mailto:the.black.adder@home.com>the.black.adder@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>MCSE, MCT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back