Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP connection trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidPaul

Programmer
Jun 24, 2000
GB
I have a domain with freenetname.co.uk, whenever I need to upload to the webspace I have to use their dialup connection that they provided. If I try and upload without using their dialup it will not let me log into the server. IS there any way to trick the FTP into thinking that their dialpup connection is being used?

Thanks,

David G. Paul

I heard of this before and I think that this FTP Server looks at your IP address or resolves at least your hostname that you get on this dialup connection and decides then if it permits the login.

The email servers from my ISP work similar to this. You only can receive your emails if you're logged on with your account at this ISP.

I guess you'd have to use something like IP spoofing to change that and I don't know what other authorization methods could be used. I think using the dialup connection is the faster method.

Try the utility called cisco dial-out. It allows you to use a virtual modem to connect to a server without disconnecting from your real ISP. Unfortunately I don't know where to get it but if I come across I will tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back