Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ftp backup failing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2006
US
Im using a ftp program and connected to the services port. when I try to backup - I get the following - can anyone shed some light on this?

Opening binary mode data connection for //full_Test_S8720_2_170403_20071226.tar.gz.
backup: 40: FTP of backup image to anonymous at 192.11.13.5 failed -- Backup terminated for full
Performing ERROR RECOVERY, please wait.....
Can't locate object method "quit" via package "ftp" (perhaps you forgot to load "ftp"?) at /opt/ecs/sbin/backup line 3398.

check the login and password , no weird characters =)

also check ftp is enabled under server access
if you telnet onto the server can you ftp to the location and login?

thanks...yes telnet is enabled under "server access" and I used the sudo ftpserv command to turn on ftp and I can then ftp to my .5 address on the services port - I can then observe the GUILD ftp program running and it shows the connection active but in an idle state - I suppose at this point if I knew the filenames and locations I could then ftp them ...you would nt happen to know the names and locations of the files would you ? ( I would think that a full backup would require several different files located in various directories...? )

double check your IP address entries in the backup screen

I have got the same error by entering an invalid hostname

I do not get this message by entering invalid usernames or directories

The backup worked after I unistalled/reinstalled Guild FTP...thanks for the replies

Thanks for the post, you just saved my bacon.

I downloaded Guildftp for free
I messed around with it and tried about 20 backups before I got it right. Anyone else who runs into the same thing, make sure you have write access to the folder you're saving to. I had to turn "sharing" on. Make sure you write to the root folder "/" in the set-up on the S8300, because you'll set up the folder you "share" to in Guildftp. Then watch what's going on in the Guildftp window, nice graph to see what's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back