Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP Account Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2004
US
I am able to access my FTP site when logging in as an Administrator. However I want to create a generic account for FTP access and don't want to allow anonymous connections.
1) I created a new user in AD as ftpuser and on the dial-in tab i allowed access.
2) Went in to the NTFS Security permissions for the ftp folder and granted the appropriate permissions for the ftp account created.

However, when I remotely try to login to the ftp site i'm unable to. I am able to connect with the ftp account if I make it a member of the administrators group, but obviously i don't want to do that. What am I missing?

IN order for someone to get on your server via IIS (and therefore FTP) they need to have a couple of basic rights. LOG ON LOCALLY and ACCESS THIS COMPUTER FROM NETWORK. This is on NT 4 sp6 so your mileage may vary. In NT 4 I created a FTP Users group and give them those privledges and then added that group to the permissions on the directory.

If you look at the anonymous IIS user account that IIS uses to assign default permissions to anonymous users who come on your webserver you will see that that account has those permissions as well.

Hope this helps.

I also went into the domain controller security policy and added the user to "access this computer from the network"...still no luck

Did you look at the default "internet user account" that IIS sets up and compare that accounts security policies with the security policy of your ftpuser?

What about LOG ON LOCALLY is that an option?

Thanks to all...the prob was the domain controller security policy...i added to login locally and access this computer from the network, and i guess i was impatient and didn't allow the change to replicate...working now though..thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back