Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FTP a config file to a 1720

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi

I'm trying, without much luck to FTP a config file to my 1720 router.

The FTP process works ok - but when I show the running-config on the 1720, after the file has loaded it is not the same as the notepad file which I ftp'd accross.

Does anybody know why this could be, or how I could get around the problem?

Thanks

Phil Williams
phil@sdn.co.uk

Try using a tftp server instead of ftp. Also the config file in notepad should look like one long string of text not like the format that you see in the show running config command on the router.

I don't think the file can go directly to running-config. You generally copy to startup-config and then copy to running or reboot.

To expand on lui3's answer, download Cisco's TFTP server software from their site.

Once you install it, it would probably be easiest to copy the config file to the default folder (C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\Cisco TFTP Server).

Then start the Cisco TFTP Server and you can COPY TFTP RUN or COPY TFTP START.

Speaker

Speaker,

If you copy directly to running-config, don't you get a merge of the existing running-config and your new file? I think in order to get an *exact* replica of the file you are trying to transfer, you need to go directly to startup-config. But I haven't tried that in a while and my lab is in use. Has something changed?

Regards,

Scott

To follow on svermill's note, when a file is copied directly to running-config, some commands will replace original commands, and others will cause a merge to occur.

For example,
int s0/0
ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
will change the IP address of serial interface 0/0

Wheras,
access-list 101 permit ip any any
will add this line to an existing access list.

If you want to do what you can to ensure it ends up exactly as it appears in the text file, copy it to startup-config and then reload the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back