Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FSMO roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanceja

MIS
May 23, 2002
US
Here is the problem. I had a Domain controller (server1) setup on our domain. I did a reboot over the weekend and all of a sudden it went to h***. It would not recognize the domain or get on the domain. Unfortunately, it was the Operations Master. I was able to do a shutdown on the computer. I then went onto another domain computer (server2) in the office and seized all the roles and it looked like everything was working.

Today, all the domain controllers that are outside this office that are connected through a VPN connection do not show the new Operations master. They only show Error when I look for the Operations master for the domain. On the Domain controller(server 2) in the office it stills shows up as the Operations master.

I need a way to force the outlaying computers to stop seeing server 1 as the operations master and see server 2 in that role.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Does server1 boot up?

IE. Did you demote using DCPROMO?

Peter.

Remember- It's nice to be important,
but it's important to be nice :)

Are all machines now looking to Server2 for dns?

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

1. Server 1 will boot up but like 58sniper said, I can't bring it back on line. I am going to have to rebuild totally before I can put back on our domain.

2. The other servers in the field offices are looking at server2 for DNS.

Thanks for the responses

Is AD replication working to the external sites?

Looking further into the problem, some of the external sites are having no problems. They are replicating and working fine. The ones with the problem, when I go into NTDSUTIL and look for the FSMO server, it shows the old server (server1) and not the new server (server2).

Did anyone ever setup sites and services, if so did you go through it and make sure every site is replicating to the correct server?

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

Went throught all the sites and services and made sure server2 was in each site. When I go into the Charlotte site and choose server2 and then tell it to replicate with one of the servers it gives the message to the affect that the other server is in another site and it could take a few minutes to replicate. When I go onto the other server and get into sites and services on that computer and tell it to replicate it tells me that the RPC services are not running. I have yet to find a good fix for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back