Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FSMO roles after migrating to 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astros

MIS
Dec 30, 2005
US
I have a W2K AD domain with Exchange 2K. I have successfully brought a 2003 DC online and am preparing to remove my other 2000 DC's, one of which runs Exchange 2K. I was getting ready to transfer FSMO roles to the new 2003 DC in order to remove the non-Exchange 2000 DC from the domain. Are there any hiccups with moving the Schema, Operations master and other FSMO roles from 2K to 2003 with Exchange 2000 still in the mix?

Should be a smooth process, be sure to transfer over the roles without seizing them. If you seize them from another DC, that DC will not be able to participate in the domain again.

Keep in mind you can't promote or demote and Exchange server (that's a DC) without permanently breaking Exchange. You need to move Exchange off of that box first.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back